South’s Ellis has to wait for start of track


STEPHAN ELLIS (second from right) will live in Sheboygan when his family moves. – Submitted photo

Sheboygan South’s Stephan Ellis thought he was going to miss his first track meet because he was still playing football.

But even though the Redwings had to call off their final two games as a result of the virus, the senior still can’t compete in the track event because the football team will still be in quarantine.

“I was really looking forward to keep playing football,” Ellis said. “This was my second year playing football; I joined late. I think it was the best thing I’ve ever done, joining football.”

Patience for the start of track is the key now for Ellis, who finished fourth in the pole vault at the 2019 Fox River Classic Conference championship,

“I’m super excited,” he said. “Hopefully this year I can go to regionals and sectionals for pole vaulting and the 800. I still have the speed from last year.”

All this while working toward his apprenticeship knowing his parents are moving to Florida this summer.

“It’s pretty crazy,” Ellis said. “I’ve got to keep my grades up to work at the plumbing place, and I’ve got to make sure I’ve got enough money saved up to live. It’s like a huge leap from living with your parents to being on your own. It’s been very hectic.”

Ellis wants to stay in Wisconsin to pursue his career, he likes the seasons and is not a fan of the small town (Milton) his parents are moving to.

But he admits he’ll visit them in the Sunshine State.

“Yeah, now I always have a place to stay,” Ellis said.



The boys are the two-time defending Big East Conference champion and return Jack Albrecht (sprints), Jack Rummel (distance), Ben Toman (hurdles), Cooper Zielke (thrower), Isaac Hartman (thrower), Navjeet Gill (sprints), Alex Holland (high jump and sprints) and Koen Vierkant (distance). … “Experience is the big factor,” coach Duane DuMez said. “There were a number of seniors who chose not to come out for track this year and I am pretty sure that the extended/altered season going all the way through June played a role because of work and other responsibilities.”


The third-place finish at the conference meet two years ago by the girls was their best showing since the Big East was formed. … Junior Rose Hahn helped set a school record in the 800 relay in 2019, but the three others graduated. … The boys 3,200 relay that took 13th at state and the 1,600 relay that placed 17th returns three runners: Matthew Witte, Hans Gruben and Logan Zak. Kisten Solle, Jonah Jurss and Dominic Willadson are also back.


Junior Nyla Spicer, a defending conference champion in the long jump, returns. She was fourth in the FRCC meet in the 100 and 200 dash. Senior Jeremy Rusch was also fourth in the 400, and junior Sylvia Green (triple jump) is another talented performer. … But for coach Ted Schermetzler, he had only 11 boys in the program at practice last week because others were competing in alternate fall sports. “I can’t even put a relay together,” he said. “We don’t have the bodies. And I think out of that group, three are freshmen who have never run track before.”


Senior Stephan Ellis competed in the pole vault at the 2019 conference championship and took fourth. Another senior, Nolan Blom-Willis (110 hurdles) and junior Maddie Ognacevic (triple jump) are back after reaching sectionals two years ago. … “We have some individuals that could do very well for us this year,” boys coach Kevin Herber said. … Added girls coach Chris Korff: “The season is quite unique, being that for the first three weeks of the season only about 25% of our athletes are actually at practice. The remaining 75% are finishing up their fall seasons, which were moved due to Covid.”

Categories: Sports

Leave a comment (moderated)

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.