by Dave Boehler
Beacon Sports Editor
You just can’t make this stuff up …
• A homemade picture is making the rounds on social media, poking fun at how Los Angeles quarterback Matt Stafford won the NFL Championship in his first season with the Rams after spending 12 years in Detroit. It features a blue banner hanging inside the Lions stadium with their logo on top and “Our old QB won a Super Bowl 2021-2022” on the bottom. Detroit has never played in the Super Bowl.
• It took 21 years, but former NFL running back Warrick Dunn finally autographed his trading card and mailed it back to a New Jersey man. The guy collected cards as a child and would mail them to players asking for their signature. He sent one to Dunn in 2001 and it was in his mailbox recently. At least Dunn wrote: “My apologies if this response has not reached you in a timely manner.”
• For the eighth year in a row, the team that won the coin toss ended up losing the Super Bowl.
• A Madden NFL video game was played the day before the Super Bowl – not on a TV – but on an entire side of the Tropicana Hotel in Las Vegas. The screen was 47,337 square feet.
• A 16-year-old from Wausau removed 32 Jenga blocks and placed them on top of the tower – without it toppling – in one minute to break his own Guinness World Record. The teenager also broke four other records, including the fastest time to build a 15-cup pyramid (2.55 seconds).