BOYS SWIM PREVIEW
NORTH Last year: 2nd at FRCC (8th at state)
• Senior Will Hayon, who holds every school record but diving, will swim at Virginia Tech. He was second at state in the 100 butterfly and took third in the 50 free. Hayon was also on the third-place 400 free relay and the fourth-place 200 free relay.
• Another senior, Logan Pond, took part on the 200 free relay and the 20th-place 200 medley relay.
• Juniors Dylan Dettloff and Caleb Webb also return. Dettloff was on two relays at state and took fifth in both the 200 free and 500 at the conference meet. Webb swam on the 200 medley relay at state and came in fifth in the 50 free at conference.
SOUTH Last year: 7th at FRCC
• Aidan Crimmins is back after taking fourth in the 50 free and fifth in the 100 butterfly at the conference meet.
• Tyler Weser came in seventh in the 100 breaststroke and Caden Toutenhoofd was 10th.
Last year: 3rd in conference.
• The team features senior Kailey Kaltenbrunn, who took ninth on the beam, 11th on the floor, 12th in all-around, 15th on bars and 18th on vault at the Eastern Valley championship meet.
• Sophomore Elle Matczak is also back after finishing 10th in the all-around, 11th on bars, 12th on beam, 14th on floor and 16th on vault. … Two more sophomores, Naomi Harder and Isabel Brennan, have experience as well.
• Kristen Buschke has returned to coach the program.
SHEBOYGAN RED RAIDERS
• The Red Raiders (14-6-2) played in the WAHA last year because of COVID and were coached by Kevin Collien. Bill Sunagel is running the program again, since it has returned to the WIAA.
“I’m excited about the season,” Sunagel said. “There’s a lot of energy. Good things are in our future.”
• North junior Brock Bulkow led the squad last season with 11 goals, was second with 20 points and third with nine assists.
• Others to keep an eye on are Blake Allen (Lutheran), Zach Tuzinkewich (South) and Jacob Crispin (Falls).
• Roncalli senior Will Falconer had a team-high 21 points and ranked second with nine goals and 12 assists, but he is playing with the Milwaukee Junior Admirals.
• Goalie Maclane Schick (Kohler) also has to be replaced.
• Although no one advanced to sectionals, the squad returns eight wrestlers who competed at regionals..
• Senior Aden Kats and sophomore Joe Duwell are back after finishing third. And fourth went to Johnny Lee, another senior, and junior Andrew Collado.
“When I took over three years ago, we were working on a rebuild since we had four wrestlers the previous year,” coach Cody Steffenhagen said. “My senior class, this is the final journey.”
• Coach Ted Schermetzler has about 15 more wrestlers in the program than last season. He says it is a young and inexperienced team, however. Senior Dorian Gebert is the top returner after he placed fourth at regionals. Juniors Anthony Hephner and Nathan Ader will also contribute.
Leave a comment (moderated)