KCL FOOTBALL PREVIEW
The last hurrah began Friday.
That is when the Kohler/Lutheran/Christian football team played its first game in the final season for seniors Robby Michael, Colin Girdaukas and Casey Verhagen.
“We’re looking forward to it and they’ve worked really hard,” coach Ryan Eigenberger said. “I know they were all really excited to get going. It’s been quite a journey. From going 0-9 their freshman year to hopefully where we’ll be at this year. It’s bittersweet to be thinking about that, but we’re just enjoying all the moments we have left.”
It is also the final season for Matt Stephany, who led his team in tackles last season.
“Matt’s definitely a shining light on that side,” Eigenberger said. “And he runs hard with the ball (on offense).”
Three other seniors also made all-conference in Max Hildebrandt, Everett Poth and Elijah White.
“It’s been three years of basically having the same guys,” Eigenberger said. “They get to have this last step together on their journey.”
AT A GLANCE
• Senior Robby Michael not only was named AP all-state second team as an all-purpose player and first-team all-EWC as a quarterback and defensive back, coaches voted him the offensive player of the year in the league. He ranked second in the state with 31 touchdowns and his 2,309 yards passing was third. He also scored nine rushing TDs and gained 563 yards to make the first team for the second consecutive time.
• Colin Girdaukas, a senior, also earned AP all-state second team and has been a first-team all-league wide receiver the last two years. He led Wisconsin with 1,495 yards and 18 touchdowns, and his 58 catches were fifth. Girdaukas also received honorable mention as an inside linebacker.
• Senior Casey Verhagen also made the first team as a receiver after he was second team in 2019. He got second team at defensive back for the second straight year as well.
• Inside linebacker Matt Stephany, a senior, is another first-team pick. He had a team-best 87 tackles and earned honorable mention as a running back.
• Senior Max Hildebrandt made the second team as an offensive lineman and was honorable mention as a defensive end. Seniors Everett Poth and Elijah White also claimed honorable mention as offensive linemen.